We are more than aware the world of technology is packed with jargon, acronyms and confusing idioms that no-one really understands. But how well do you know the industry itself?
Check out these top facts below:
- Each day Google handles around 1 billion search queries – which subsequently causes the release of around 200 ton of CO2 in to the atmosphere each day. Be frugal with those Google searches!
- Internet usage has increased worldwide by 21,000% since 1993 – the technology has changed a bit too…
- Whilst it took the radio 38 years and the television 13 years, it took the World Wide Web only 4 years to reach 50 million users. A true testament to the popularity and power of the internet.
- When staying in a hotel, 94% of guests cite WiFi as their most important amenity – the hotel industry realises this too, The Ritz in particular has the 10th fastest hotel internet in the world!
- On average mobile users check their devices 150 times a day – naturally increasing if they use a unified communications solution for work too!
- The first hard drive was created in 1979 and could hold 5MB of data – the equivalent of one short song in mp3 format.
- More people on this planet own a mobile phone than a toothbrush – technological priorities.
- Every minute 100 hours of video is uploaded to YouTube – whether from brands or individuals, this amount of video would keep each of us all viewing for a very long time.
- The first computer virus released in the world was a boot sector virus, which was created in the year 1986 by the Farooq Alvi brothers. It was originally designed by them to protect their research work.
- The first webcam was deployed at Cambridge University computer lab – its sole purpose to monitor a particular coffee maker and hence avoid wasted trips to an empty pot. For those of you that work in a busy office, I am sure you can sympathise!
Share your top technology facts with us below.